Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cape Cod, Cape Town: what's the difference?

In 8 days I will be on a flight to Africa. I still have tons to pack and a grant proposal to write for my senior thesis. Yikes.

Packing for 6 months in one suitcase for weather that ranges from 55 to 100 is somewhat of a joke. And, there is no central heat in the houses in CT so if its 55 outside, its 55 in my bedroom. There is absolutely no way all my stuff is going to fit. Just today, I bought nearly 89 dollars worth of sunscreen. I love being Irish. Even though I don't have red hair, I will most certainly have red skin if I neglect to put on sunscreen. And, I have discovered that after living in Wisconsin for nearly 3 years, my supply of clothing for warm weather has greatly diminished. I guess I have never gone searching for shorts in the winter, but they are mighty hard to come by.

Anyways, the creation of this blog is yet another form of procrastination. I will try to post pretty frequently, however, I suspect that it might be a bit difficult because internet in CT is expensive. Expect pictures. After all, a picture says 1,000 words

Now that I have a new mac, skype might also be a good way to keep in touch. My skype name is catherinedemers and address:
3 Albert Rd, Room 3
Mowbray, Southern Suburbs, Western Cape 7700, South Africa

The deal is you write and I bring something back for you.
Who knows, maybe it will even be a giraffe.. .
You may laugh, but I did win a horse in a raffle on a Native American reservation way back when....

A conversation I had the other day made me laugh. I was talking with someone about my plans to study abroad and she mistook Cape Town, South Africa with Cape Cod Massachusetts. Surprisingly, the conversation continued for quite sometime without either of us realizing the misunderstanding. Really, Cape Cod?! Martha's Vineyard must have been a hard place for Mandela to be imprisoned for 20+ years....

2 comments:

  1. CATHERINE!!!! AH!! love the first post, I can tell your blog will be entertaining for us throughout the semester. Becca, Laura, and I talked about having Rino Blog Reading parties so you can be sure we will be keeping up with your adventures! We'll miss you! safe travels! go bungy jumping!
    Love, Ane

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG RINOOO
    We love your blog, we just read it out loud. We will read it out loud every day of the week. We also just hung your pictures on the wall and are using your bins in the bathroom. Ane is using your pillows and I am using your tempurpedic.
    miss you !
    Lov

    ReplyDelete