Thursday, January 28, 2010

"TIA" This is Africa.

I have been here for about a week and it feels like forever. It reminds me of camp days when hours seem like days and days seem like years.

The other day we had to take a matric exam which is the equivalent to the SATS in the states. The test is absolutely ridiculous because it doesn’t count towards anything for us but it is required by the government. I think the literacy portion could have been completed by a third grader. However, for many people in Africa the test is nearly impossible and only about 3 in 10 kids from the townships go to college.

Although I had been previously been warned about the lack of efficiency in Africa and slower pace of life, these couple of days have been quite trying- and the test which took 5 hours and counted towards absolutely nothing highlighted the phrase I have heard often, “TIA” This is Africa. As I sat in line for an hour and a half to preregister for courses moving seat by seat every few minutes or so, I kept reminding myself, “TIA”. When I waited for the jammie bus to go to campus which was supposed to come at 9:30 but finally arrived at 9:50, TIA. When I went to get a special sheet to change my courses and they were out and couldn’t simply photocopy more…TIA. And I am sure tomorrow when I actually register for courses and have to walk around to each building and see each professor to get their signatures I will have the same feeling. Its just the way it works here, and although frustrating at times, I am getting used to not being able to accomplish everything that I want to in a day- it can always be done tomorrow.

And while this phrase seems to apply to nearly every situation I have experienced thus far, I am still battling the idea that something “could be Africa”, when some people here live in 1st world conditions, while ten miles down the road there is no electricity or running water. I was absolutely astonished today when I went to the township where I might be volunteering to see the school and some of the kids. The shanties were leaning over, dilapidated and run down, kids were running barefoot in the streets, and there were no paved roads. As tough as it was to see, the most troubling part to me was that this township exists a mere 20 minutes from my lovely apartment. How in the world could someone ever say “TIA” when the lives these people live could not be more different? To top it all off, after the township visit some friends and I went to Cavendish which is a shopping mall and then out to sushi. We didn’t realize that the sushi bar was going to be a swanky place, but swank it had. As I sat eating my sushi and looked around at all the beautiful people drinking wine, I couldn’t help but think about the kid 10 miles down the road who was sleeping in a house without electricity. How the heck do these two worlds exist right next to each other? It was such an odd feeling- such tremendous contrast, almost surreal. Two hours ago I was in a township and now I am drinking lemon water and eating a salmon California roll….. WHAT is going on? I was told that there would be this contrast but its truly unbelievable… I really don’t even know how to describe it.

While I really want to do the teaching program in the township there is something about the whole process that seems touristy to me—like let me save and bring light to these poor, starving children in Africa. In truth, I think that I would learn much more from them than they ever would from me. I am thinking that I will do Shawco because I want to escape from the UCT bubble but I wish I could create my own organization that does not filter feed international students through these schools, but then again I am that international student coming for only a semester. I am probably contradicting myself and if I sound confused its because I am. These issues are beyond complicated and it torments me. No answer is black and white and I suppose I should become comfortable with that idea but its hard to grapple.

I didn’t mean to get to into the heavy stuff, I am truly having a wonderful time, but Cape Town is a place complicated beyond my wildest expectations I can’t wait to explore these issues further.

Speaking of exploring, on Monday a group and I are going to climb Devils Peak. I can’t wait. Apparently the trek is 3 hours straight up but the view at the top should be worth every step.

Miss you all.

3 comments:

  1. Rino, it sounds like you are having a great time along with everything that is so difficult to see. You should definately start your own teaching program and even if you are only there for a semester I'm sure it will mean a lot to the kids, and maybe you can even come back and do it again!!!
    we miss you here in madison!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Catherine
    Your mom and I had tea today and she told me about your blog. I am enjoying reading about your experiences. What I appreciate most is how they mirror my own feelings and experiences when I travel in India. Even thought this was my fourth visit, I still find it hard to see the extremes of poverty and wealth right next to each other. Here in the States, we hide our poverty--we would not dare to have our impoverished any where the wealthy could see them...that would make the rich uncomfortable. So, Miss World Explorer (I am so psyched that you are out and about), I don't think that you will ever be comfortable with the huge disparities that can exist...at times side by side. And I don't think that they will ever totally go away. But we can each do our own thing to help chip away at it--maybe yours is to do your own teaching program.
    I can't wait to hear (or read) more about your learning...what an amazing experience you are opening yourself up for.
    Sending warm regards

    ReplyDelete