Sunday, February 14, 2010

breakdancing is a new olympic sport

One might say I’ve explored the tip of the iceberg. In a week from tomorrow, I will have been here for 4 weeks and have now ventured to all the different areas around town at least once, climbed a bit of Table Mountain and dabbled my feet in the Indian Ocean. I’ve gotten to know how to find my way around campus and can better predict how much taxi rides are going to cost. But like a true iceberg, I know that 80% lays below the surface, and I know there is so much more to explore. While I had tons of energy and was traveling non-stop for 2 weeks trying to accomplish everything and acquaint myself with the new surrounds, I feel that I have hit a plateau. Today as I sat outside not doing much of anything, I felt a bit guilty. Instead of lazing around, I could have been touring the District 6 Museum, going to Robben Island, or even walking around the neighborhood. Then, I convinced myself that I am living here- not just visiting- for 5 months and that I would be crazy to think I will be doing things 24/7. And then I flashed forward to that last night or so in June, months from now when I am packing to go home. What will I think of my time then? One thing I know for sure: time goes quickly. And with that thought in mind, I plan on sitting down with a travel book or a daily newspaper tomorrow and making a list of things I want to do or see and hanging it in my room so that I am reminded on a daily basis not to get too comfortable in the same old loop. I don’t want to get caught up in the day and forget where I am and what opportunities I have. I think its easy to stay at “the tip of the iceberg” as an international student. The real challenge is to see what’s below the surface.
The other night I went to a hip-hop performance by Black Noise at the theatre on campus. Originally from Cape Flats, Black Noise is deemed to be the oldest hip-hop crew in Cape Town. Originally I was disappointed because Black Noise didn’t seem to be performing themselves, it was more like they were coordinating the stage for young and local break dancers to exhibit their latest moves. But as I sat and watched, my jaw slowly dropped to the floor- these kids could dance. I took a video, which I wish I could post, but multimedia and internet do not work so well around here. The dancing was inspiring not only because they were just so good, I mean I truly have never seen anything like it, but also because their dancing seemed to be driven by a much larger force. I got the impression that the dancing represented so much more than their moves or routine- it was a way of dealing with everything that’s messed up in South Africa. An outlet of expression, what I saw on stage was driven by raw emotion and a quite tangible energy. I think these kids should be on the next So you think you can dance reality TV show. Or maybe in light of the opening of the Olympics, break dancing could be added to the list. Whether it be in included the summer or winter program, I’m not sure; but there are definitely some 14 year old gold medal contenders in Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment