Friday, February 26, 2010

Milk crates

So this past summer I googled/you tubed (yes those words are both verbs now) South African music to get ready for my trip. After listening to a bunch of songs, I came across the Soweto gospel choir and fell in love. As my roommates can attest, I think I listened to the same songs on repeat for weeks on end. One of my favorite songs is Shosholoza, which in Zulu means “to go forward or make way for the next man”. The song was originally sung by mine workers in a call and response manner. After listening to the song all summer, I was really excited when I went to see Invictus (a movie about SA rugby) and lo and behold the song was playing in the opening act as the camera scanned scenes of Table Mountain and downtown Cape Town. After seeing the movie, the flames of my addiction were rekindled and I played their music nonstop for the last couple of days before I left. Oddly enough however, I haven’t listened to their songs while in Africa because my old music is not yet downloaded onto my new computer. But fear not—I am going to see Soweto gospel choir IN CONCERT tomorrow. They are playing at Kirstenbosch gardens which is a famous park area/botanical reserve, and I cannot wait to picnic and see them perform live.

Today we went to a textile exhibition in downtown Cape Town and walked around marveling at pretty fabrics and beautiful jewelry. Although I wasn’t carrying enough cash to buy anything significant, I have decided that before I leave SA I am going to treat myself to a beaded bracelet with the SA colors. I wish I had brought my camera because there was a runway show happening in one part of the convention center. The outfits were outrageous and the flashing of huge cameras never ceased. At one point seats in the front row opened up and I thought my friends and I should jump in but then I looked at my dirty jeans and crinkled shirt and thought we might be a bit out of place.

Speaking of cameras, do you ever wish you could take a picture with your eyes? It's an odd question, I know, but there have been many occasions during this trip where I have really wanted to take a picture of something, but would have felt really awkward taking out my camera. Everyday when I walk to the bus station, I pass a group of people selling clothes which look like they have been donated from goodwill. The clothes are hung on barred doors or scattered on the ground, and women sit on milk crates watching the clothes. The women set up early in the morning and are there when I am walking home at dusk, day in and day out. The expressions on their face are worn and tired and I so desperately wish I could document it.


Other than the concert on Saturday, I think I am just going to lay low and catch up on some much needed sleep/reading for school. On Monday, I am going to Khayelitsha for my first time to teach 3rd graders in an afterschool program. Khayelitsha is the largest township in South Africa and was formed in 1985 during forced removal. 40% of the population is under the age of 19. I am going through a society (or club) called SHAWCO at UCT, and they provide buses from campus to the township. Here is the website for SHAWCO if you are so inclined.

I am a bit nervous/excited and intimidated. Me... teaching? watch out.



No comments:

Post a Comment