Tuesday, February 2, 2010

summit

Sometimes not knowing what you are getting yourself into is a good thing. Yesterday we went on a “little” hike which turned out to be a 7 hour affair, rock climbing and wicked sharp branches included. Three guides led a group of 35 students up and I’m so glad that we went with guides because the trails are unmarked and its impossible to know where you are supposed to go. The first 45 minutes were straight up and all of us were sort of struggling. Then we stopped for a break and the guide said this was just a warm up. (!!). Yikes. It was at that point I thought I would never make it to the top but no one said they wanted to turn around so up we went. The next part was real ledge climbing and when I looked down the steep cliffs my stomach dropped a little. The final two hours were not as strenuous as the first hour but much more technical. Finally, we made it to the top but we were in the clouds so it was hard to see. I was super happy that all of us made it to the top, its always the best feeling in the world. Today I am a bit sore but not as much as I expected. I am joining the mountain club at UCT so hopefully there will be many more hikes to come.

Today we took the mini bus to the Waterfront area which is a big place for tourists. After getting out of the minibus we entered the land of wealth and whites. There were gift shops, venders trying to sell helicopter tours and people walking around in big sun-brimmed hats looking very confused. It seriously felt like I was on the Caribbean (well what I imagine the Caribbean to be because I’ve never actually been there). We stopped for seafood and sat outside looking at the giant cruise boat and watching the seals play in the water. I was really tempted to buy postcards until I looked at the sky high prices. When I passed a store called Martha’s Vineyard that sold pink ties, I knew I had reached my limit, it was time to head back to the train station to catch a crazy and smelly minibus back home.

I always thought that because people in South Africa talked about race more openly that they were somehow able to confront the issue without sliding it under the rug like most Americans do. However, I have come to discover that people are just flat out racist. For example, a couple of days ago when the international kids in the house next door were talking to the landlord of a house on the street she said she was still looking for more students to rent her house but that she didn’t want any black people. Apparently all the kids just stood there in shock.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Catherine
    Conversations about race around the world are so interesting. And there can be so much that is tied to unconscious bias...just out of sight in our consciousness but very much present and active. Friends of mine in South Africa tell me that the outlawing of apartheid was only the first very small step forward---they have much more work to do to address the unspoken prejudices and stereotypes that don't go away because someone passed a law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the description of the "land of wealth and whites" You're a hoot!

    ReplyDelete